Thursday, November 19, 2009

First Post! Honey Mustard Chicken with Green Beans in a Chili-Soy-Garlic Sauce

This was a pretty tasty combination of flavors. At first I was thinking teriaki beef with a green bean stir fry, but I decided to go for a  sweet flavor in chicken to go the with salty-spicy veggies.

This meal fed 3 people, and cost around $15 to make!



This awesome storebought Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam brand garlic-chili sauce really packs a punch. This amount turned out spicy – just spicy enough for me, but too spicy for, say, my grandma. Just put in less (or no) chili sauce for less spicy. Put in a little at a time. As my Dad always says: "You can't add less."


Honey Mustard Chicken
~ ¼ cup honey, briefly microwaved to make it runny
~ ¼ cup dijon mustard
~ ¼ cup olive oil
~ 1-2 tsp. soy sauce
~ 1 tsp. garlic chili sauce
~ 2 cloves garlic
~ zest of 1 tangerine
~ to taste – garlic powder, chipotle powder (chili powder can be subbed), curry powder, salt, pepper
Whisk it all together in no particular order, then add to:
~ 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, chopped up to bite size
Marinate this for an hour or so, whatever kind of time you have. Then throw it all into a pan on medium heat right after putting the onions into the veggie pan.

This turned out to be a little too much flavor, and could have been more subtle. I did add juice from the tangerine, but I took that out of this recipe because that might have been what made it too strong. Next time I might do a little less than a quarter cup of everything, so it's less saucy. I would also add a splash of white wine next time. It looked a little monotone, too. You could add more color, say with some chopped green onions or something.

Next!

Green Bean, Bell Pepper, Onion Stir-Fry
Chop up to whatever size you like (I left them pretty large):
~ 1 lb green beans (chop off both ends, and cut the big ones in half)
~ 2 red bell peppers (yellow could be used too, make it more festive)
~ 1 red onion
~ 4 cloves garlic
Sauce:
~ 4 or so tbsp. soy sauce (I just splashed it in. Probably was more than 4 tbsp.)
~ 4 tbsp. or so olive oil (same thing. Don't overdo it though, you'll also be using some to start the veggies)
~ 1 tbsp. garlic chili sauce (again, this was spicy. Use with care)
~ 1 tsp. honey (warm, like before)
~ To taste – garlic powder, salt, pepper
Whisk the sauce together, and chop the veggies.
First, put the onions and garlic into a hot hot pan or wok with some olive oil, then add peppers once they're slightly browned.
While this is happening, steam the green beans for 3-4 minutes, then throw them into the onions and peppers, which should both be brown-ish at this point.
Then pour all of the sauce on top and cook for a bit longer, maybe 5-10 minutes. I added a bit of the sauce when I started each veggie, too, to let it soak in a bit. Most of it should be added after the green beans, to everything all together, though.

Veggies were the highlight of the evening for me. That chili sauce packs a punch, be careful. But it's just the right kind of spicy, that waits until after you swallow, then clears your sinuses. Good times!

Altogether, I think this turned out really good. I do not regret my decision to go with sweet chicken with the spicy veggies, though the meat could have been more subtle. Dad poured a Castle Rock Pinot Noir, $7 from Cost Plus, that worked perfectly with this. A mellow pinot does a great job of soothing the spicyness. Awesome ~$20 meal for three people.

3 comments:

  1. Yea it looks professional and tasty. Mmmmmmm. Great job dude you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to say, it was an amazingly tasty meal. Full of very rich, tangy flavors, and both dishes going really well together. I'd add some bell pepper to the chicken just to add to the texture and color, more than for taste.
    Cook on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you are so cooking for me when you come up to PDX. Also great idea for a blog! I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete